10 Tips for Around the House when Daylight Savings Time Begins
Daylight savings time is right around the corner. We "spring ahead" on March 8th this year. When you move your clocks ahead one hour, think about these 10 other things you may want to do as well....
1. Replace Batteries. Now is the time to replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. This is a must. If you remember having changed the batteries recently, still go ahead and give your detectors a quick test.
2. Discard Expired Items. This is a great time to do a quick check of the fridge, pantry & medicine cabinet to toss out any expired items.
3. Vacuum the Dryer Vent. This is an important item to add to your daylight savings time list to reduce the risk of fire.
4. Flip Your Mattress. This will make your mattress more comfortable and save on wear and tear. If you have a no-flip mattress, simply rotate it.
RE/MAX Performance Realty
phone - 204-226-3643
email - firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Reverse Your Ceiling Fans. During the warm spring & hot summer months, you want the fan to blow air straight down, so your ceiling fan needs to run in a counter clockwise direction (as you look up at it). The warmer it is, the higher the speed should be. During the winter, your fan should run at a low speed in a clockwise direction.
6. Wash Your Pillows. This is a good time to throw your pillows in the wash or take them to the dry cleaners.
7. Change the Baking Soda in the Fridge. This miracle product does wonders all around the house, including in the fridge, but it won't do you any good in the fridge if the baking soda is stale.
8. Furnace Filter Reminder. Although you should change your furnace filter, on average, every 1-3 months, this might be a good time to change it.....just in case you've forgotten. :)
9. Emergency Kit. Put together an emergency kit to be prepared in case of spring & summer thunderstorms, or dare I say it, a winter snowstorm. Flashlights with fresh batteries, a first-aid kit, water and non-perishable food items are a good start. And if you have canned food, don't forget a manual can opener.
10. Take a Nap. Since we 'spring ahead', most of us will lose a little sleep on this day. So treat yourself to a nap.